01/10/2003

Meditations

One thing I do as often as I can is Bible Study. I usually go through a set of four questions for many of the passages of Scripture I read. Tonight's meditation is on Psalm 62:1-2, 5-7. "(1)For God alone my soul waits in silence; from Him comes my salvation. (2)He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. (5)For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from Him. (6)He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. (7)On God rests my salvation and my glory, my mighty rock, my refuge is God." The questions I try to answer for medition are: 1. What do these verses teach me about God? a) God is worth waiting for... in silence. (For God alone my soul waits in silence) b) God speaks in His still small voice - in my silence. (For God alone my soul waits in silence) c) God is the author of Salvation. (from Him comes my salvation) d) God protects me. (He only is my rock, my salvation, my fortress, my glory) e) God is my worth. God is my weight. God is my significance. (On God rests ... my glory) (Glory here means weight; worth; significance) 2. What do these verses tell me about myself? a) I do not wait. I rush around doing my own thing. (For God alone my soul waits in silence) b) I need salvation. (from Him comes my salvation ... He only is ... my salvation) c) I put my hope; my salvation in anything but God. (my hope is from Him - If I don't take the hope He gives, I am taking hope elsewhere) d) I seek self glorifcation; self worth. (On God rests ... my glory) 3. How do these verses point me to Christ as Savior? a) He only is ... my salvation. (notice the first occurance of salvation - 'from Him comes my salvation' - while the second occurance - 'He only is ... my salvation') b) Christ was shaken in my place. ('I shall not be greatly shaken' - This does not say I will not be shaken. It says I will not be greatly shaken. Christ on the cross was greatly shaken ... in my place!) c) Christ is my salvation. ('On God rests my salvation' - Christ is God) 4. How would I be different if the truth of these verses were explosively alive in my inmost being? a) I would not be afraid of what man may do to me; or think of me; or talk about me. (From Him comes my salvation; He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress) b) I would share the Gospel in word and in deed. (On God rests ... my glory) c) I will trust God for my salvation; not my up coming vacation; not my next weekend; not my next day off from work; not my gaming on the PC/PS2/Xbox; not my 'alone time' with my spouse; not my paycheck. These questions make you think. They help guide you to see that salvation is from the Lord! Don't think b/c you 'chose' Christ that you 'saved yourself' - Salvation is from God and is God and only in Him. That's where our hope lies. What a thought to think about - Christ was greatly shaken in my place so I would not have to be greatly shaken. Nothing that comes our way will greatly shake us! "What so ever is true, think on these things..."

No comments: