16/08/2003

Things that make you go Hmmmm.... I fixed lunch today. I made two grilled cheese sandwhiches. yum. The way I make them is by putting mayo (salad dressing type) on the side of the bread (on both slices) that will be on the inside of the sandwhich. I then put two slices of cheese in between them. This is about the time I turn on the burner on the stove. By this time the sandwhich has already been put together. I then begin to butter one side of the sandwhich, place the sandwhich (buttered side down) on the pan. And for the last side, I butter it, also. While that sandwhich is cooking, I start the process all over again with another sandwhich. As I began eating, a thought occured to me about how, when, and why to pray for my meal. This is a thought provoking issue. If you are like most Christians, you pray before you eat - before you even touch your fork or drink. May I suggest to you this is not always a proper time to pray. Sounds heretical, eh? Well, read on before you make a judgement... I have been with many a Christian (sometimes myself included) that prays for their food before they eat, then they complain about the food the whole time! Ummm.... 'scuse me? Did you not just thank God for what you are partaking? You might as well not have prayed IMO. I realize people are following the 'example' of Christ - which is a good thing - but we fail to realize He did everything in sincerity. We don't. My point is, you don't have to pray before you eat. What about praying after? Or maybe during - as in after you've taken a few bites to make sure you want to thank God for the sludge you are eating. Christ never said you must pray before you eat. He mainly said pray in this manner - when you do something in a particular manner, that doesn't necessarily mean at a particular time. Now back to my lunch. I decided that (since I knew how this lunch was going to taste - (and that I prepared it exactly the way I like it prepared) I'd pray throughout my lunch for this particular bite, and that particular drink, etc.. and when I was done eating, I thanked God for my lunch. I wanted to make sure I was sincere in my prayer; for why should I pray if I am not sincere? Insincere prayers just hit the ceiling (in a matter of speaking). Just be careful why you do it, how you do it, & when you do it - you may be doing it just to do it b/c it looks right - not necessarily b/c it is right.

No comments: