09/07/2003

Business people are rude. I work in the technical services arena - Point of Sale equipment specifically - all over the phone. I deal with all kinds of problems from "what cable goes from 'X' model scanner to a 'P' model terminal/PC" to "My thermal printer is wrinkling the ribbon very badly." You see a lot of weird stuff out there. There are some really cheap people out there - they want to buy a $50 scanner that can not only scan their barcodes, but they also want it to call a cab & make them breakfast each morning. Read my words - NOT GONNA HAPPEN I have also talked to a wide variety of people - from Canadians, Good ol' Boys from the South, to Aussie's, to you name it. I have seen a few characteristics of each 'group' of people. Canadians are the worst to deal with. I don't apologize for that statement. I can think of two people that are generally very cordial, and you can even joke around with them. Mike is one of my fav Canadians. But I must admit when I first began dealing with him, he was the worst. Over time he learned that you don't have to be belligereant every time you call. Mike is the exception to this rule. I love talking to Aussie's. They're just great. I love their accent - it ROCKS! They are always polite. Now there are a few Americans I talk to that make my skin crawl every time I hear their voice. Kim comes to mind. Wow - she knows nothing, she thinks she knows stuff (but doesn't), and she puts you down if she senses any hesitation in your voice as you try to answer her question. Kim is not a fav around here - at all. As far as the rudeness factor goes, there are lots of people that call us up and no more than 5 seconds into the conversation (case in point - Janet just called and put me on hold for a few moments) they ask if they can put us on hold. Ok - have you ever heard of doing one thing at a time? (Which this brings me to Call Waiting - it's technology that allows us to be RUDE!). We have growned accustomed to multi-tasking. What is multi-tasking? Doing 2 or more tasks simulteneously (ideally - simultaneously, but more realistically one at a time in successive order). If you're talking to someone on the phone (and it's important info for YOU), let the other call go. People can wait. Why should I trump what I am doing with one person to do something with another - during that same time period? These 'Mom & Pop' shops that I talk to - oh my. They can't even spend $35 (plus tax) to buy an answering machine. If you can't buy a cheap thing as an answering machine, how are you staying in business? Blasted Bottom Dweller!! Have you ever heard of voicemail? Isn't that what it's for? When I am not available (i.e. talking to the first person who calls me), then the person can go to my voicemail and I will return the call when I am through. There are exceptions - like when my wife calls - she trumps all ya'll including the Pope - even twice on Sundays. But the exceptions have become the rule - what's up with that?? Don't be rude! Make sense? This ain't rocket science folks! Treat each other with the respect due. When talking to someone, put your total attention to it - don't multi-task. I reserve the right to post more on this topic :)

No comments: