15/07/2003

I have no business sense. I can execute what is required (to a certain degree), but setting up the parameters is a different story. I've noticed that a lot of business is mostly marketing. What is marketing? The best definition of the word marketing is from www.m-w.com "the process or technique of promoting, selling, and distributing a product or service" ok - marketing is all good and fine. Nothing wrong with it - at least in and of itself. It's how you go about producing opportunity to make money. Not a big deal. But not all marketing is truthful. In fact, the more I read ads, watch commercials on TV, etc... I find that marketing has become an acceptable means to mislead and basically lie to the consumer about a product. If this were not true, why would we need companies like 'Consumer Reports' which tests all kinds of things to make sure it does the very thing it's advertised for... For instance, look at the movie "Phone Booth." That movie looked decent enough from the commercials - it made me want to watch it. So I rented it. I only watched half of the movie. I have a question now. Why do you need to make half the dialogue explitives? Wow - I could have muted the movie and still picked out the story line. The story line rotted anyway. There wasn't much to it. It was like Titanic or Speed - what can you do with such a specific circumstance? All of a sudden all of life revolves around a ship, or bus or a phone booth??? That's ludicrous. Yes, the marketing did catch my attention for 'The Phone Booth", but that's as far as it went. You see - that's why I couldn't be a promoter of something b/c I seek after the truth too much. I couldn't allow an item to be advertized in such a way that it misled the consumer. After all, the love of money is the root of all sorts of evil. That's why companies mislead and even lie to consumers - b/c it works. I never said marketing doesn't work (to prove it works - I rented 'Phone Booth' and I like buying drinks that are blue...). All I'm saying is the major modes of marketing is just unethical - but you know, no one will take a stand and make it stop. Why? b/c it makes money. People buy stuff. It's a vicious cycle. oh well. Nothing I can do, right? bah....

No comments: